The past simple tense is used to communicate actions and states that we have completed or finished in the past.
It can be used to talk about a period of time.
- She was my piano teacher for seven years.
- I went to every opera show I could when I was living in Spain.
- She came back from her trip on Wednesday.
It can also be used to talk about a specific point in time.
- My brother came home on Sunday.
- I went to her wedding yesterday.
- Monica saw Joey in the street.
The following time expressions are often used with past simple.
- Three weeks ago
- Last year
- in 1980
- from April to May
- for 3 weeks
- in the last century
- in the past
- for a long time