Are you looking for an effective way to increase your vocabulary? When you sit down to read a book, newspaper, magazine, or an article on the Internet you are independently reading. Reading material you want to read, not because you have to, any of these mediums will increase your vocabulary.
There is a good reason independent reading promotes vocabulary growth. Each time you read something new you are exposed to new words and can become familiar with their meaning through the context of what you are reading. The greater the variety of your independent reading, the more vocabulary you will acquire.
You Increase your vocabulary every time you read something new. This is because you are exposing yourself to new words, and with effective reading will become familiar with their meaning through the context of what you are reading. The more independent reading you do, the more vocabulary you acquire. Let’s face it, in order to gain fluency in any language you have to have vocabulary.
Use the following techniques to increase value of, while enjoying, your reading time:
1. Read as much and as often as you can. You can use context clues to learn most of your vocabulary words. If you don’t know a word then ask yourself, “How does the author use the new word within the sentence? How does the word fit with the, or clarify, the content?” These questions can help you gain meaning without a dictionary, and you will be more likely to remember them the next time you come across those words. The more words you are exposed to, the better vocabulary you will have.
2. Use it or lose it. When you have learned a new word you need to use it in your conversations and writing. Use it in different sentences from 10 to 20 repetitions to really make it part of your vocabulary. Learning a word and not using it will lead to you to promptly forget it.
3. Improve your context skills. Research the word in your dictionary and online. What other meanings does the word have and how else can it be used? Since the vast majority of words are learned from context your vocabulary will increase by understanding how it is used.
4. Play with words. Once you have learned a new word you can use it during a conversation but also in a more playful moment. Wow your opponent when you lay Scrabble, Wheel of Fortune, or any other game where knowing words wins. You will also be able to complete more crossword puzzles.
5. Keep a notebook and write down words you don’t know. Look them up and write down the definition. This is a proven technique that works. By looking up the definition you are given in-depth information about the word. You are also actively thinking and writing about the word which will help keep it in your memory.